Monthly Roundup: July
Taking a quick look at the numbers for July. . .
- Books bought – 33
- Books downloaded – 3
- ARCs received for review (physical) – 1
- ARCs received for review (digital) – 7
- Books read – 13
- Average rating: 4.5
Last month’s reviews included:
- First Warning by Regina Watts
- Goldie by Danni Maxwell
- Strands of Sollus: Rewoven by Cheryl Suchacek
- Forbidden Desire by Robin Lovett
- Nightmare Asylum and other Deadly Delights by Sonia Kilvington
- The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang
- The Lady’s Guide to Celestial Mechanics by Olivia Waite
- The First Sister by Linden A. Lewis
- The Book of Shadows by James Reese
- Chaser by Dharma Kelleher
- The Four Profound Weaves by R.B. Lemberg
- The Dark Wood by Zadie Black
- Trans Wizard Harriet Porber and The Bad Boy Parasaurolophus by Chuck Tingle
I always find what reviews are best received across different mediums to be fascinating, as it points to different audience segments being engaged. A good again mix this month, but . . . damn, Chuck Tingle fans are awesome, giving me my most like/retweeted post ever!
- Most read on the blog – Trans Wizard Harriet Porber and The Bad Boy Parasaurolophus by Chuck Tingle
- Most liked on Goodreads – The Lady’s Guide to Celestial Mechanics by Olivia Waite
- Most reach on Facebook – Chaser by Dharma Kelleher
- Most liked on Twitter – Trans Wizard Harriet Porber and The Bad Boy Parasaurolophus by Chuck Tingle
Look Ahead: August
I always hesitate to look too far ahead, since my reading is dictated as much by my whims and desires of the moment as by release dates.
Having joined 2 reading challenges at the last minute, I feared the review pile was going to suffer, but thanks to some overlap I still read 7 of my 9 anticipated reads, along with 6/9 #Transathon reads and 5/9 WomenInSFF reads.
Reviews I’m (reasonably) confident you can expect to see this month include:
- Radley’s Home for Horny Monsters by Annabelle Hawthorne (I’m reading this for a book tour next week)
- Edge Play by Jane Boon (Dr. Boon has promised a task when I’m done!)
- Kushiel’s Dart by Jacqueline Carey (I’m enjoying this re-read immensely)
- The Seared Lands by Deborah A. Wolf (no more excuses, I need to make time for this!)
- Psycho Killers in Love by C.T. Phipps (this is a late August review, and I really owe Charles a read)
- The Malan Witch by Catherine Cavendish (I can’t pass up a new book from Cat)
- Olive the Lionheart by Brad Ricca (a rare nonfiction title, but I’m anxious to give it a read)
- The Memory of Souls by Jenn Lyons (I’ve been hoping a physical ARC or finished copy might arrive, but the digital ARC is calling)
- Warrior Rising by J. L. Nicely (I’m overdue for this, and Jeanette has advised me she just finished book 3)
As for features and guests, August has scheduled tour stops for Radley’s Home for Horny Monsters by Annabelle Hawthorne, Glorious Day by Skye Kilaen, Off Balance by L.E. Royal, Innovation by J. Scott Coatsworth, Evie and the Pack-Horse Librarians by Laurel Beckley, and Caught by Kimberley Cale.